OMENS – GOOD AND BAD
1. If one sees a bird called as ‘ratnapakshi’ or ‘bhardwaj’,it is considered as a good omen. (May be because it is a graceful and also not a very commonly seen bird!)
2. If a cat goes across in front, while going for some work, it is considered as a bad sign.(may be because cat belongs to the same family as lion, which is a dangerous species)
3. If crossed by a woman with pot of water, good omen.
4. If crossed by a (Brahmin) widow with shaved head, a bad omen.
5. If crossed by a barber with his instruments, a good omen
6. If crossed by a barber without his instruments, a bad omen..
7. If one sees a single bird called myna, a bad omen. to nullify the effect, one should see a green tree.
8. If one sees pair of myna birds, it is a good omen.
9. Sneezing on the entry point of main door (umbaratha or hosla), bad omen.
10. Cow entering the house, good.
11. If a flower falls from God’s idol or photo towards right side, a good omen.
12. If one sees a cow along with its calf, a good omen.
13. If one sees a mongoose or mangasuli, a good omen.
14. If lizard chirps, a bad omen.
15. If rain starts while leaving the house, good.
16. If lower left eye lid moves, good fo women, bad for men
17. If lower right eye lid moves, good fo men, bad for women.
18. If a dead body is being taken across, it is a good omen.
19. If a pregnant woman crosses someone’s legs, the child would be like that person.
20. The baby will resemble the person whose face is seen daily in the morning by its mother during her pregnancy.
21. Marrying a squint eyed woman is considered as a good thing.
(Because it is difficult to get a squint girl married?)
22. If one eats raw rice, there will be heavy rains during his/her marriage.
this must be to discourage children eating raw rice.
23.If coconut offered to God is spoiled one, it is a good thing.
one should not feel bad that the money for coconut is wasted but should feel happy that it has really reached God.
24. If coconut is broken lengthwise, there is going to be a child born in the family- this broken coconut appears like a cradle!
Usually coconut is offered to God after pooja and if this is blessed with the wish for a baby, one feels very happy.
25. While preparing puran poli( holige) , if puran(stuffing hurna) remains at the end, it results in a boy, if the dough remains, then it is going to be a girl.
26. A pregnant lady is made to open one of the closed cups containing sweets and depending on the gender of the sweet ( in marathi, all nonliving objects have genders), the baby is going to be he or she!)
27. Owl’s voice during night is a bad thing!
28. If crows make lot noise outside the house, indicates that guests are going to arrive!
(Usually crows gather to eat the food that is thrown outside and when guest is going to arrive, there is lot of food being prepared and waste being thrown and crows gather to eat that making noise to call other crows!)
29. If one gets hiccups, someone is remembering.
Don’t get upset over the hiccups but be happy that someone is remembering you!
30 If a child does pee on someone, then that person will get a child of his own.
One should not be upset over it, but be happy!
31. If one wears a dress upside down, he/she will get a new dress.
–One should not be upset over it, but be happy!
32. If a dog sneezes while going out, it is a good omen.
(better to have a dog as pet!)
33. If no water is left in bucket after the bath is over by a married woman, then she does not get to go to her parents’ house.
34. If lizard falls on body, in general it is considered as bad and one should take bath immediately. Also depending on the part on which it has fallen, there are different effects: For example, if it falls on
i) back – bad for the next sibling
ii) stomach(of women) – indicates that soon a child is going to be born
iii) hand and legs – bad in general
iv) head – it is good – for girls it is said as ‘rani ban jayegi or she will be a queen!
35. If some clothes disappear from house all of a sudden, it is believed that some dead ancestor is watching that person.
36. If one sweeps the house with a broom, guests arrive.
(Infact one specially cleans the house when guests are expected).
37. If a thing or incidence takes place twice, it is bound to happen for the third time!
SHOULD DO AND SHOULD NOT DO
(Possible explanation for some…….)
1. Should not make cotton batti for lamp on Monday .
(Since Monday is the first working day of the week, better finish such work on Sunday or before at leisure time.)
2. Sister of a brother should not take head bath on Monday .
(Since brother in supposed to be cared by a sister, she should spend time or him on the 1st working day o the week, and finish work like head bath on the holiday i.e. Sunday.)
3. Mother who has first male child or a son, should not prepare ghee (by melting butter) on Monday.
Usually first born son is more petted by parents, it is better to look at his requirements on Monday i.e. the first working day of the week, so it is advisable to finish the time consuming work like ghee making on Sunday or beforehand.
4. Do not leave the house on Tuesday for going out of station- this is or all and more for a married daughter of the house.
Usually pooja like mangalagouri or devipooja is performed on Tuesdays and daughter of the family is like goddess, so she should stay, attend or perform the pooja and not leave the house.
5. Daughter in law should not leave the house on friday, for going out of station .
Usually laxmi pooja is performed on Fridays and daughter in law is considered as laxmi of the house, she should not go out on Friday.
6. As per marathi customs, should not go out of station on Wednesday (Jaashil budhi tar yesheel kadhi?) – That will result in delaying the return.
7 New clothes should be worn for the first time on a Wednesday.
Wednesday if budhwar in marathi. And budh means oozing or overflowing, so one will get a lot of new clothes.
8 Should not wear new clothes for the first time on a Saturday – Saturday is considered as a ‘non working day’, so nothing will work well.
9. for cutting nails, the effect on different days
Monday for Health
Tuesday for Wealth
Wednesday for News
Thursday for Shoes
Friday for Fear
Saturday for Happiness
Sunday for Sorrow.
10. Should not return back on 9th day after going to other place –
(usually one feels like extending the stay after going out, so this is a good excuse!)
11. Should not have ‘moongdal’for naivedya.
(Usually moongdal is light for digestion, so given to sick, so there should be something else in meal that means all should be in good health!)
12. Should not make gourd and have it for naivedyam on Monday.
(Gourds are sometimes bitter, so better have stock of all other vegetables on Sunday for the week.)
13. Should not yawn during meals(one should not be sleepy while eating- be awake and enjoy the food!)
14. Should not swim after meals.
(any exercise after meals is bad, because, the circulation should be for digestion and not diverted for other organs)
15. Should not grind teeth !
(It is sign of bad health or worms in stomach)
16 There should be no light off during dinner.
(There should be enough light to see what one is eating)
17 Fresh curds should not be eaten for the first time for dinner.
18 Borrowed oil or ghee should be returned back without fail.
19. Salt should not be given in hand.
20. Sharp objects like knife should not be given in hand.- to avoid hurting.
21. Should never present a handkerchief to anybody
22. Should not weep in the evening.
23. Should not say ‘ I am going’ in the evening, but should say’ I am going and coming back’ – as this is time for goddess laxmi (wealth) to enter.
24. Should give curd and sugar in palm while going for some important work, examination or going out of station.- curd and sugar signify prosperity and satisfaction.
25. Should never say no if milk is offered in anybody’s house. –
because milk is considered as poorn anna or complete food.
26. Never say no to ‘poha’ (pressed rise or awalakki) if offered
27. Should not do important or auspicious work during ‘rahukal’.
Rahukal is for a period of 1 and 1/2 hour during day time, at different time on different days as follows (IST)–
Monday 7.30 to 9
Tuesday 3.00 to 4.30 pm
Wednesday 12 noon to 1.30 pm
Thursday 1.30 to 3.00 pm
Friday 10.30 am to 12 noon
Saturday 9.00 am to 10.30 am
Sunday 4.30 pm to 6.00 pm
28. Never should pass fire between two persons. It results in quarrel between the two.
(Fire is dangerous and it could hurt others if carried within short distance
29. Rice should not be served only once – results in having only female children,
If served three times- the person might take loan.
This must be with the intension of serving more.
30 While going out for travel, never take 2, 3 or even number of chapattis.
2 chapattis are considered to be required by one person- so it is always advisable to carry more.
31. Never carry a new born baby and food together, when the baby is being taken to its father’s house for the first time after its birth.
Usually ladies go to parents’ place for delivery. As it is there are lot many things to be carried while taking the new born for the first time. So there should not be additional botheration of carrying the food.
32. Ganesh naivedya should be eaten by ladies only.
May be because, on festival days many guests are invited and after serving all, all the items may not remain for the lady of the house who prepares the food.
33. Should never keep a broken or cracked mirror in the house!
It is dangerous and might cause wound.
34. Never keep a broken doll, especially with lost head.
It looks awful!
35. Never a slipper, chappal or shoe should be in upside down position.
(This must be for discipline. )
36. Never wash your plate while going out of station, specially the daughter of the family.
(Daughter of the house and also invited guests are not supposed to do work in parents’/ host’s house)
37. Never sprinkle the leftover water on hand on others after washing the hand.
(This is a bad habit)
38. After having bath, the water in bucket should not be completely finished.